The Ministry of Health was established on the basis of the Ordinance of the Council of Ministers of 26 October 1999 on establishment of the Ministry of Health (Journal of Laws No. 91, item 1018), and it is an office of government administration serving the Minister of Health, in the scope described in the Ordinance of the Prime Minister of 18 November 2011 on the detailed scope of activity of the Minister of Health (Journal of Laws No. 248, item 1495 and No. 284, item 1672).
The Director General of the Ministry of Health is responsible for functioning, conditions of work and internal organisation, as well as the system of work of the Ministry – in the scope described, in particular, by the Act of 21 November 2008 on civil service (Journal of Laws No. 227, item 1505, as amended) and the Act of 8 August 1996 on the Council of Ministers (Journal of Laws of 2012, item 392) – is provided by.
The Ministry encompass the following organisational units:
- Political Cabinet of the Minister of Health;
- departments – set up to implement the substantive tasks of the Minister of Health;
- offices – set up to implement the tasks in the field of the Ministry handling and in the scope of servicing the Minister of Health and the Ministry.
The Ministry of Health performs the following tasks as part of services rendered for the Minister of Health:
- supervision of the National Health Fund;
- reimbursement of drugs, medical products and foodstuffs intended for particular nutritional uses;
- supervision and audit of entities providing health care services;
- supervision of performance of medical professions;
- development and coordination of implementation of health programmes;
- organisation and supervision of the National Medical Emergency Rescue system;
- performance of tasks connected with health resort treatment.